Date:      Tue, 5 Jun 2001 18:40:32 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Flemming Froekjaer <flemming@froekjaer.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Laptop without Windows

Flemming Froekjaer <flemming@froekjaer.org> types:
> I was looking at buying a Dell Inspiron 8000, but there was no option to
> buy it without a windows os.
> So i called them instead and explained that I wanted to use the laptop
> with FreeBSD. They said that would be ok, but i would have to pay the
> same price, as with the OS.
> Is that normal?
> I know Microsoft is not giving DELL free OS licenses, and I don't want
> to support MS by buying there OS, when I'm not going to use it.

As others have pointed out, you don't get a choice. However, boot
windows and get to the Windows license agreement. Check to see what it
says about what to do if you don't accept that agreement, as you don't
need to. It should say something about returning it for a
refund. Install FreeBSD.  Go back to the store and bitch to get a
refund. Follow up with the manufacturer if you have to. It's paid off
in at least one case. You may be able to return the laptop with
FreeBSD installed and get a full refund - after enough time has passed
that you can buy a newer/better one for the same cash. If nothing
else, you've made the store and manufacturer aware that there are
people who object to this, and that you're not bound by the license
agreement. That last may present some interesting possibilities,
depending on the local copyright law.

The other alternative is to buy an OS X laptop from Apple. That comes
with BSD software preinstalled and manufacturers support for the
hardware (which I find *very* tempting).

	<mike