Date:      Sun, 10 Mar 2002 14:13:35 +0000
From:      Josh Paetzel <friar_josh@webwarrior.net>
To:        Kim Wykoff <wykoffkb@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why do I get message "rl0: couldn't map ports/memory" at bootup?

On Sun, Mar 10, 2002 at 08:11:29PM +0100, Kim Wykoff wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've loaded FreeBSD on my Compaq Presario 4550. Then I installed an AON-325 (RealTek 8129/8139) fast ethernet card, and booted up the generic kernel. I get a boot message "rl0: couldn't map ports/memory", then I don't see the ethernet interface in the ifconfig. I only see lo0, sl0 lp0, ppp0, and faith0.
>
> Thanks for any help you could provide.
>
> kind regards,
>
> kim wykoff

The answer is in man rl.  You are having a hardware conflict.  The
card is unable to get the resources it wants.  Chances are, you have a
settting in your machine's BIOS called Plug and Play OS, and it's
probably set to YES.  Change it to NO and try again.  Otherwise you
are going to have to move the card to a different slot, or download
the DOS utility disk for the card if there is one and reprogram what
irq and i/o ports it wants.

Josh