Date:      Thu, 21 Jun 2001 10:05:38 +0600
From:      "Sergey N. Voronkov" <serg@tmn.ru>
To:        Malcolm <malcolm@ocf.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPFilter and security

On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 06:18:33PM -0700, Malcolm wrote:
> Hi folks,
>   What do we think about installing IPFilter on non-gateway boxes
> and using it to block all incoming traffic except for whatever ports
> we want to use on our server (e.g., http, ftp)?

Hi!

Go and use it!

I have it installed on my servers to limit usage of some services to only
local network (such as a rdump. hosts.allow is also set to block unwanted
connections. I'm gouing to be realy paranoid one :-). Also "keep state"
options helps to reduse some realy stupid traffic - like a scans on TCP/53
(SA flag set).

Bye,

Serg N. Voronkov.