Date:      Wed, 14 Aug 2002 14:34:13 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Lord Raiden <raiden23@netzero.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Questions about Nics and Freebsd

http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.6R/hardware-i386.html

> 	2.  Of the nics that work with freebsd, how would you rate
> each one of them on a scale of 1-10, 10 being best.

I've used everything from old 3Com ISA cards (Etherlink IIs, have 6 or
8 on a shelf in working order, (C)1989), to D-Link, Intel, Netgear,
and newer 3Com cards.

The only *supported* card I had problems with were the newer revisions
of the D-Link 530TX cards dropping the link frequently, and refusing
to go beyond 10BaseT/UTP. Check the list archives; I seem to recall
this is more or less a known issue.

A few years ago, I assisted with a lot of hobby/personal FreeBSD
installs for a few extra $$, and found that a lot of the $10 cards
supplied by cable modem or DSL providers were often hard to
*identify*, let alone detect and bring up. :-) For instance, the same
model number of cards from the same cable company had three different
chipsets (one LiteOn, one DEC, and one other that I can't remember)...
so, YMMV, in those situations.

The Netgear FA310TX cards are really solid. With 18 or 20 of these in
production and under moderate load for approximately 3 years, I had my
first one cease to function last week, but that was only after moving
it to a different machine, so I'd bet it was a combination of ESD, and
a 3 year old card that pushed a million packets per day or so.

I changed suppliers, and the new supplier didn't carry them, so I
switched to Intel 10/100S cards (PILA8460), which add about 25% to the
price, but work extremely well, are easy to source, and always seem to
be in stock. I also have a few of their dual port NICs, and have been
satisfied with those as well.

I have the odd 3Com card scattered among a few workstations with no
complaints, but tend to stay away from them because of their cost for
a basic 10/100 card. I did get several defective 3C905 cards from the
same mfg lot two or three years ago, which got a lot of attention when
I sent them back, because (quote from RMA tech) "but they're 3Com!"

I guess what I'm trying to say is, use whatever works, provided it
fits your budget. If you can't find anything that works and fits your
budget, I am really sorry. :-)

- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>

  901 1st Avenue North - Saskatoon, SK - S7K 1Y4

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-244-7037   Saskatoon