Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 2002 15:24:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Default ssh protocol in -STABLE [was: HEADS UP: FreeBSD-STABLEnow has OpenSSH 3.4p1]

On Mon, 8 Jul 2002, Philip J. Koenig wrote:

> Actually I'm not sure that history bears that out.  Take a look at
> the fundamental changes in Sendmail functionality recently,

I disagree strongly with the direction that much of the sendmail stuff has
taken in both -current and -stable. However, the upgrades were
"necessary," for a fairly good definition of "necessary." We gain very
little by changing the default, and we run the risk of causing tremendous
trouble to our users.

You can of course add an obligatory argument about two wrongs don't make a
right here...

Indeed, there are already at least two threads in -stable, and god knows
how many in -questions on this very topic. That's because the default in
the ssh binary seems to have been shifted to "Protocol 2,1" which is
causing all kinds of problems for users who don't understand that. This
has nothing to do with users carelessly mergemaster'ing, or any of the
other aspersions that other contributors to this thread have made.

Also, as you pointed out, wonky mail configurations are a problem I can
fix, because I can log into the box. Not being able to log into the box is
a whole other can of worms.

--
   "We have known freedom's price. We have shown freedom's power.
      And in this great conflict, ...  we will see freedom's victory."
          State of the Union, January 28, 2002

         Do YOU Yahoo!?