Date:      Thu, 9 Oct 1997 15:44:51 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Marco Molteni <molter@logic.it>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Digital, Intel, Silicon Graphics (fwd)

On Wed, 8 Oct 1997, Wes Peters wrote:

> Another marketing channel we FreeBSDers must concentrate on is the
> university.  UNIX originally climbed into commercial existence
> through the influence of young programmers entering the work
> force with UNIX experience from their colleges and universities.
> These days, colleges buy the "educational discount" versions of
> VC++ and teach their graduates nothing but "how to write an MFC
> app."  Talk to professors and students at your {current, former}
> universities.  Get them to use FreeBSD.  Get them to install
> FreeBSD ftp servers on the campus net.  Recruit a Doug White at
> each and every college.  Get them to stock FreeBSD CD-ROMs and
> books in the bookstore.  And get them to take FreeBSD to work with
> them. ;^)

I'm a student at the Computer Science Department of the Milan
University, Italy (This is also the CERT Italy center). Our lab is
ruled by HP-UX xterminals :-)

You know what are they used for? Surfing the net with netscape, with
hard core images in the root window. My collegues say: "hey dude,
this (surfing the web + sex images) is cool. I just miss my home
win95".

No, I'm not joking :-(. I'm the only I know of to do my exams
programs with Unix (guess which? I started with Linux, then switched
to FreeBSD :-). All my friends carry to the examination room their
home pc with their win95 or nt, and use visual C++. What a _SAD_
world, if I think that we students are *supposed* to be computer
science experts, not marketing droids.

Here at my university, bureaucracy rules (ie, you can't just say:
"hey, a spare pc. Let me install FreeBSD and show you how it
works"), but if Jordan is interested in a foreign country, I'll be
glad to give him a list of my professors email addresses. Uhm, maybe
it's better snail mail, so he could send them some gadgets, maybe
the FreeBSD newsletter ;-)

Cheers

Marco Molteni
Computer Science student at the Universita' degli studi di Milano, Italy.
                 "Whuffo you jump out of them airplanes?"