Date:      Wed, 25 Apr 2001 11:17:21 +0200 (CEST)
From:      aaron <aaron@meta.lo-res.org>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        "Richard C." <freebsd@telus.net>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Infrared on Laptop...

On Wed, 25 Apr 2001, Daniel O'Connor wrote:

> On 25-Apr-2001 Richard C. wrote:
> >  Was just wondering, is there a way to use the infrared in any way? Be it
> >  network peer-peer to another laptop via infrared (as i noticed possible in
> >  windows *shiver*) or maybe use it with some software as a remote control for
> >  my TV, VCR, etc? I've done the later before with my Palm Pilot, was kinda
> >  kewl...
not only would it be cool but i believe - with all the UMTS stuff coming
(hopefully soon) - it is about time for IrDA: imagine putting your UMTS
cell phone next to your laptop and here is your 2MBit stream (BTW: I am
currently using GPRS to log in and write my mails. Modem = Motorolla
Timeport 260 connected trhu serial cable - mini FAQ on timeport 260
& ppp coming soon) ...

aaron.

> There is no IrDA stack for FreeBSD which is what you would need to talk to
> another laptop or a palm pilot. (Well you could possibly use the raw IR port as
> a half duplex serial port and run PPP over it).
>
> As for remote controls.. They use a fairly different system to IrDA ports so it
> isn't really feasable.
>
> ---
> Daniel O'Connor software and network engineer
> for Genesis Software - http://www.gsoft.com.au
> "The nice thing about standards is that there
> are so many of them to choose from."
>   -- Andrew Tanenbaum

---

pub  1024D/6110C44D 2001-01-19 Aaron Kaplan <aaron@lo-res.org>
sig        6110C44D 2001-01-19  Aaron Kaplan <aaron@lo-res.org>
sub  2048g/EB2C5163 2001-01-19 [expires: 2002-01-19]