Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 1996 03:50:46 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Tony Kimball <alk@Think.COM>
To:        dunn@harborcom.net
Cc:        alk@Think.COM, jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Question about networks

Quoth Bradley Dunn on Wed, 9 October:
: > On the other hand, in practice one would certainly expect 256 /24s to
: > be substantially more expensive than one /16.
:
: Why? If you have a /16 and individual /24s are going for more than a /16,
: why would you sell it as a /16 instead of selling the individual /24s? If
: anything, I would think a /16 would cost more, because it would be more
: desirable than 256 /24s in the case of route filters or route charges.

Assuming that is predominance of value in the address space itself,
rather than merely in the administrative process: The 256 /24s can be
tossed around, exchanged, chopped up, etc., much more easily -- they
are more liquid, which enhances their value; also, each having value
in itself and marketed individually must contribute to the overhead
costs of the selling entity independently, which adds to the selling
price of each; finally, the end-consumer demand for small pieces of
address space is much much greater than the demand for large pieces.
The only way to use the large piece effectively is to resell chunks of
it, which is a costly administrative excercise, whereas the smaller
chunks require less overhead to put to use, thus increasing their value.

: > I'd also very much like to hear more about IPX proxies.
:
: http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/751/ij/home.html
: is one.

I was hoping for a FreeBSD view.  I note that LINT shows:
options		IPXIP			#IPX in IP encapsulation (not available)
options		IPTUNNEL		#IP in IPX encapsulation (not available)

Is anyone using this for anything interesting?