Date:      Thu, 7 Feb 2002 22:03:46 +0100
From:      Bart Matthaei <bart@dreamflow.nl>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   mtu on gif devices

--82I3+IH0IqGh5yIs

Hi all,

first of all, could you please cc any replies to me ? (I'm not on this
list).

Last time I checked (around fbsd4.3) , I was unable to set the mtu of
a gif device higher then 1280. I just cvs'ed from 4.4 to 4.5, and saw
that i was able to set the mtu of the gif device to 1500 (and saw that
my 4.4 box could do the same).

The weird thing is, though, that since i've upgraded to 4.5, ssh
connections from my irix and bsd box in my network (which have
public ip's tunneled from work) die spontaniously. They either die
when i give it a lot of input, or when i idle for a bit. It smells
like a mtu problem to me, but i can't find the problem.
When i ssh directly from my router trough the tunnel to work, i get a
stable connection, so i figured the home-router itself is the source
of the problem.

Set up is like this:

colo (gif with mtu 1500) -> gif tunnel -> home-router (gif with mtu
1500/ interfaces with mtu 1500) -> irix box (mtu 1200) / bsd box (mtu
1500).

Both the irix and bsd box have the problem.
The problem was also occuring when the mtu of both gif devices were
set to 1280.
It all started when i upgraded my home router from 4.4 to 4.5.=20

Any suggestions are welcome.=20

With regards,

Bart=20

--=20