Date:      Tue, 04 Sep 2001 00:09:43 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        obrien@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: signal handling descrpancy (FreeBSD oaf fix/Evolution)

David O'Brien wrote:

> Hi Hackers, et.al.
>
> The PIM Evolution, http://www.ximian.com/products/ximian_evolution/,
> does not run on FreeBSD.  The authors have made a change so that it will.
> However, we would like to know if FreeBSD is the odd-man-out, or if the
> authors were lucky Evolution ran on Solaris and Linux.

There's some oddity in FreeBSD's SIGCHLD handling.  If you
ignore the signal, it's supposed to "magically reap" when
child processes exit, according to my copy of "Go SOLO 2"
(The Single UNIX Specification).  FreeBSD makes you explicitly
set the handler/mask the signal yourself.

Technically, either way could be considered correct; there
was a patch to -current that "fixed" FreeBSD; I'm not sure
if it was MFC'ed to the 4.4 branch or not...

There was a big discussion on -current about "proper handling",
if I recall correctly.  FWIW, I opposed the change (which
implied SA_CLDWAIT, I think, with no way to turn it off to get
historical behaviour for programs which needed it).

I hate POSIX signal handling...

-- Terry