Date:      Fri, 16 May 2008 11:47:03 +0300
From:      Manolis Kiagias <sonicy@otenet.gr>
To:        RJ45 <rj45@slacknet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-update question

RJ45 wrote:

> hello, I have updated qith command freebsd-update
> and hte command
>
> freebsd-update fetch
>
> shows me I have already hte latest patch level  7.0-RELEASE-p1
>
> anyway uname -a shows me always 7.0-RELEASE #0
>
> how can I do to have uname to show me the correct patch level ?
>
> thanks
>
> Rick

As another reader already said, this can be "fixed" by recompiling the
kernel. In fact, you may notice that this file changes every time
freebsd-update fetches new patches:

/usr/src/sys/conf/newvers.sh

This is responsible for giving your custom kernels the -p1, -p2 and so
on designations.
It is not however always necessary to recompile the kernel. Some updates
do not really contain any changes to kernel code. For example, AFAIR, p1
for 7.0 RELEASE only had some updates for the ssh daemon. In this case
recompiling the kernel will only give you the p1 designation, but
nothing much else. However this is still useful for people maintaining a
number of machines: They can quickly tell which ones are updated and
which not.