Date:      Wed, 2 Feb 2005 01:36:43 +1030
From:      Malcolm Kay <malcolm.kay@internode.on.net>
To:        Bikrant Neupane <bikrant_ml@wlink.com.np>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 64bit Cpu

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 05:10 pm, Bikrant Neupane wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have Dell SC1420 with Intel Xeon em64T processor.
> Any idea which is the best OS for this system??
> I first installed FreeBSD 4.10 but that's for 32 bit. Now I am trying to
> install 5.3 but the system doesn't boot from the CD :(
>
> I have been using 4.10 for more than years (in other 32 bit cpu) and it is
> very stable. But I don't know how good 5.3 is for the server environment.

I've installed 5.3 on three different machines. Two of them without
problems. On the third the BTX loader from the boot CD got confused and went
nowhere.

Announced that loader was being relocated and then after some considerable time
that the loader was running -- but then just hung.

Worked around the problem by making and using the boot floppies
with the actual installation data taken direct from CD.

The machine would boot 4.10 installation CD without problems.

Malcolm