Date:      Wed, 23 May 2001 10:19:49 +0000
From:      David Banning <sky_tracker@yahoo.com>
To:        Kutay Alper <kootkraze@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Questions

Here is some info;

http://www.futuresouth.com/~fullermd/freebsd/bsdvlin.html

I know off the top, that linux has certain parts of their system
"in develelopment" while FreeBSD using the -current a separate
distribution for development.

FreeBSD has the ports system for installing new software, which
is an excellent system for installing new software. Most users who have used
both linux and FreeBSD prefer ports by far.

FreeBSD tends to have less drivers, but this is maybe good or bad depending
on your perspective. FreeBSD's approach seems to one that drivers are
only worth writing for good quality hardware, which keeps winmodems
and any other $15 hardware out of the picture.

What I like about FreeBSD is that everyone is operation out of the same
source, so that you don't have one person running this type if FreeBSD
and another person running another type.

What is perhaps the most important deciding factor in this
which-free-unix-should-I-use question is support.
I don't know about linux support, but I can tell you that FreeBSD support
is very good.

BTW, FreeBSD does a great job of running linux and SCO software

Hope this helps. Good luck.

On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 03:29:06AM -0400, Kutay Alper wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   I had a couple of quick questions. I'm a long time linux user and was
> wondering how bsd compared to linux. I'm very curious and will soon install
> one of the bsd distributions. I was also wondering what were the differences
> between the 3 bsd distributions (freebsd, openbsd, and netbsd). I run a
> small business which requires a several servers and have been using linux
> distributions for that purpose. However I've been told that bsd runs better.
> Note that my questions about linux are in reference to the 2.4 kernel.
>
> Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.
>
> Kutay

In the force if Yoda's so strong, construct a sentence with words in
the proper order then why can't he?