Date:      Thu, 16 Jan 2003 12:43:18 +1030
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Frank Li <frank19991@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Increase memory limit ?

On Wednesday, 15 January 2003 at 18:36:31 -0600, Frank Li wrote:
> The situation is as follows:
>
> Physical memory is 128M, OS is FreeBSD 4.4.
> My C++ simulation code mallocs large amount of memory. When running, I
> found "top" shows SIZE is 514M, RES is 176M.

That's rather difficult on a machine with only 128 MB.

> Then the code dumpped a core.  The code itself should have no
> problem.  It's not complicated and it runs very well when running
> shorter.
>
> Top shows:
> Mem: 180M Active, 21M Inact, 32M Wired, 13M Cache, 35M Buf, 656K Free

This shows that you have much more than 128 MB of memory in the
machine.

And how much swap?

> Abort trap - core dumped
> . PID USERNAME PRI NICE  SIZE    RES STATE    TIME   WCPU    CPU COMMAND
> 66351 dxu -22   0   514M   127M swread   0:11 36.96% 27.39% simulation
>
> limit shows:
> cputime         unlimited
> filesize        unlimited
> datasize        524288 kbytes
> stacksize       65536 kbytes
> coredumpsize    unlimited
> memoryuse       unlimited
> descriptors     1064
> memorylocked    unlimited
> maxproc         531
>
> I tried to increase the above limits but failed. They seem to be already
> the maximum.

No, you need to set them in /etc/login.conf.

> Should I add more physical memory

That might speed things up, but it shouldn't make any other
difference.

> (if so should I reinstll OS)?

NO!

You don't reinstall the system, ever.  Well, almost never.  Just
reboot.

> Can I just set some parameters(what?) and recompile kernel and
> increase these limits ?

No.  Just reboot.

The real issue is why your simulation is dying.  Do you have any
messages in /var/log/messages indicating that you're out of swap?

Greg