Date:      Wed, 30 Oct 2002 15:35:35 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        budsz <budsz@kumprang.or.id>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Changing key in terminal

On 2002-10-27 12:38, budsz <budsz@kumprang.or.id> wrote:
> I was try last night to split/create new windows in BitchX for example
> I typed /windows new hide in BX prompt and then I switched to other
> window using alt+1, alt+2 etc but nothing happend (doesn't switch),

Try using ESC+1, ESC+2, etc.

> Yes If I trying using remote terminal it's OK. The question doesn't
> about BitctX but How to change key in terminal (console)?,

You do realise that you are mixing up local consoles and remote
connections here, right?  The behavior of each one is not necessarily
related to that of the other.

To change the behavior of keys on a local virtual terminal, you can
use kbdcontrol(1).  Read the manual pages of kbdcontro(1), kbdmap(5)
and the files under /usr/share/syscons/keymaps for more details.

> I didn't found this reference in manual. The same problem I saw in
> ~/.bash_profile if I used TERM=xterm-color variable in this case, I
> can't using editor like vim, ed (I got like 22h char if I press a
> key), but if I remotly it's OK, In my box doesn't use X system.

You haven't provided enough details for any of the above to make
sense.  What type of terminal were you using when you set TERM to
xterm-color?  A virtual tty of the console?  A remote connection to
another machine?  Since you have mentioned that you don't have X11
installed, the strange behavior you are seeing is very likely to be a
result of an inappropriate TERM value.

Giorgos.