Date:      Mon, 20 Jun 2016 17:11:16 -0500
From:      Chris Watson <bsdunix44@gmail.com>
To:        Zaphod Beeblebrox <zbeeble@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: The small installations network filesystem and users.

I'm glad you brought this up. I wanted to but I've heard it before on the li=
sts and realize that there is this disconnect between the developers doing t=
he actual work to implement these things and the end users.=20

I have always been very grateful to all the developers who over the years, a=
nd I've been a FreeBSD consumer since the late 90s? And attended my first us=
enix/freenix conf in Monterrey in 2001?, have done some really hard work on m=
any many things in FreeBSD. For zero pay. But the thing that has always both=
ered me about a lot of it is, it's just to complex to use for most end users=
. Not all. But people want to get work done. Sifting through .conf files, go=
ogling howtos, spending more time configuring it than installing it has alwa=
ys been an issue. Developers in general do not think like an end user. And t=
his leads to non developers just going "screw it I'll just get it running on=
 Linux with my GUI installer." Which is why FreeNas is so popular. It's take=
n a lot, not all, but a lot of the pain and time consuming nature of learnin=
g all the ins and outs of a NAS appliance from the equation.=20

It's wonderful to have flexibility and lord knows there are plenty of option=
s and flags for most software. ZFS took a lot of pain out of file systems an=
d volume management. I remember in 2001 staring at an HPUX box trying to fig=
ure out Its volume manager and truth be told I never did and wanted to stick=
 my head in a meat grinder. It would have been less painful. I don't know if=
 the problem is simply writing things that are simple and optionally complex=
 is hard? Or if the people doing the work just want it to work for them and d=
on't really want to take even more time to sit down and actually consider th=
e software and its management from a users/consumers viewpoint.=20

There was a photo from bsdcan this year of a "sysadmin spotting" shirt. If y=
ou read the text on it you actually begin to see how systemic and difficult a=
ctually using and configuring most software is. It's probably a good reason m=
ost developers use macs. In addition to better HW support. I'm not sure what=
 the solution to this is. I think it would be great if beta testers and the d=
evelopers had a closer connection and issues were handles in a timely manner=
. But in a volunteer project I get why that is unreasonable. But I mean go t=
hrough the bug database and you can see PRs that are years old. I don't know=
. I just know I'm getting to old to spend all day beating my head against so=
ftware to get it working. Honestly if I have to spend over an hour reading c=
rap docs all over the net because your manpage make no sense or is vague, tr=
ying to configure the software, your software sucks and I'm rm'ing it. I rec=
ently went through this with opensmtpd. I went right back to postfix. And al=
l over something as simple or should be as simple as mail aliases!=20

Chris

Sent from my iPhone 5