Date:      Mon, 05 May 2003 21:35:16 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: `Hiding' libc symbols

"Andrey A. Chernov" wrote:
> What produce less errors in application and libraries?
> a) Allow application to replace any standard function.
> b) Produce linker error on such attempts.
>
> Please also note that I not treat functions like err(), warn() etc. as
> standard, so namespace.h is right for them.

Probably you want to add an option to the linker to make it
treat weak symbols as strong, and *do not* turn it on by
default, and make it apply positionally, so that it can be
applied on a per-library basis by the ports maintainer.  It
would be a much better approach than trying to relink, which,
after reading the code, I'm convinced would not work (my
previous suggestion).

-- Terry