Date:      17 Apr 2001 18:00:25 -0400
From:      Mark Evenson <evenson@panix.com>
To:        scott@visgen.com
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ppp pointers?

Scott Augustus <scott@visgen.com> writes:

[...]

> I notice as I type in term everything seems one step behind. For example, if
> I type "atdt" after entering term the following appears:
>
> ppp ON foobar> term
> atd
>
> The last character does not show up until I hit "enter" a few times.

[...]

I believe the delay in seeing characters after "typing" is indicative of an
interupt (IRQ) conflict.  If you have a spare IRQ (use something like
'dmesg | grep irq' to see what you are currently using), configure another
IRQ explicity in 'pccard.conf' like:

        # 3com/USR/Megahertz 3CCM556
        card "3Com" "3CXM/3CCM556"
          config  auto "sio" 5

if you want to explicitly request IRQ5 when you attach this card.   If you
are running a recent (FreeBSD 4.1+), add this entry to '/etc/pccard.conf'
to override whatever is specified in '/etc/defaults/pccard.conf'.

If this is indeed the case the PPP connection eventually terminates because
the serial device is not delivering data correctly to the PPP driver.

I think that I ran into the same problem with the same card on a Dell
Lattiude, but the cause (shared interupts) is generic rather than specific
to the hardware involved.  Please take this advice as non-authorative, as I
only remember the details rather dimly.