Date:      Fri, 19 Oct 2001 12:07:06 -0500
From:      Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
To:        security@FreeBSD.org, ports@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        kde@FreeBSD.org

OK, so I keep getting mail every now and then from people who
can't figure out why kcheckpass / kscreensaver won't authenticate
their password(s).  It's because I decided to play it safe and
made kcheckpass non setuid root, which it needs in order to call
getpwnam().

But now I'm tired of getting these emails from people who don't
notice the message that kdebase spouts about it.  I want to know
if people think it's a safe "risk" to give kcheckpass setuid root
privileges so it Just Works(tm) when people try KDE.

--
wca