Date:      Sun, 18 Feb 2001 19:09:47 +0000
From:      ian j hart <ianjhart@freeloader.freeserve.co.uk>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sendmail and Identd

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> What about installing IMP or other webinterface and forcing the
> students that aren't savvy enough to know how to use their
> mail client properly to use that instead?  This allows you to
> centralize all administration on the mail clients to in effect
> the central mailserver, and in addition allows the students to
> check mail from any browser.
>
> Ted Mittelstaedt                      tedm@toybox.placo.com
> Author of:          The FreeBSD Corporate Networker's Guide
> Book website:         http://www.freebsd-corp-net-guide.com

[snip original message]

Thanks for your reply, but... :)

I only installed Internet access and mail just before Xmas. We've just
spent a half-term getting (1500) user accounts setup. I would not be a
very popular guy if I changed track at this point.

The problem is not with 'savvy'. It's a _feature_. You log on and send
some mail. If the network drive with your profile is not available you
get the default user settings. (No-one checks account details every time
they mail). The mail goes out with a random users return address.
Sendmail only checks the hostname, which is correct (and masqueraded
anyway). The only clue that this is happening is when you read mail and
the prompted account name is not your own. God bless Bill Gates.

--
ian j hart
ICT Technician.