Date:      Thu, 11 Nov 1999 21:21:19 GMT
From:      Marty Cawthon <mrc@ChipChat.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        argyll@ChipChat.com
Subject:   SAMBA / 3.3-Stable / transfer delay

  I am experiencing a "one-way delay" in file transfers from Microsoft Clients
(Windows 95 and Windows NT) to Samba.

FreeBSD 3.3-Stable as of Oct 8 1999
samba 2.0.5 installed from the ports collection
  smb.conf includes this line:
      socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_SENDBUF=16384 SO_RCVBUF=16384
  (originally it had just 'TCP_NODELAY'
   but I added the others per suggestions found in on-line resources)

Network is a 10/100 Mbps Bay Switch with all below running 100 Mbps
Client                      Send 1MB to SAMBA      Receive 1MB from SAMBA
                            copy e:\test\file u:\  copy u:\file e:\test
------------------------    ---------------------- ----------------------
  Microsoft Windows 95      15 seconds             Instantaneous
  Microsoft Windows NT4     15 seconds             Instantaneous
  IBM OS/2 + TCP/IP 4.1     Instantaneous          Instantaneous
  (IBM OS/2 TCP/IP 4.1 is an optional IBM TCP/IP stack for OS/2
   which IBM describes as a "BSD 4.3 stack")

  I had mentioned this at FreeBSDCon, and several people had suggestions,
most mentioned the "TCP_NODELAY" option.

  I still see this delay.
Do others run 3.3-Stable and Samba also see this type of delay?
Are there other suggestions for solving this trouble?

Marty Cawthon
ChipChat