Date:      Thu, 5 Oct 2000 11:57:44 +0400
From:      "Artem Koutchine" <matrix@ipform.ru>
To:        "Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Linux/FreeBSD decision

> > 2) I am a developer, not a lame user, i know what i am doing
>
> See, this looks like a superiority thing.
>
> I'm a developer for sure; that's what I do all day at work.
> I wrote the ps command from scratch and I've made kernel patches.
>
> So I know what I'm doing, and that means I know that 99% of
> the time it is better to install binaries. I don't need to
> waste my time when I know a binary will run just fine.

Not really, Let's take mySql, for example. If i install binary, what would
i get? Some standard distribution? But i need it compiled with cp1251
support and i need this support to be very fast. So, i will build it from
the sources.

> >> Mandrake is crap. Slackware is a BSD rip-off.
> >
> > That's exactly my point! LINUX PEOPLE, YOU MUST FIND
> > COSENSUS AMONGST YOURSELF FIRST!
>
> Why not unite *BSD first? The 4.4BSD distributions are rather
> severely split compared to the Linux distributions.

I see other way, I'd rather thinks of different BSDs as specialized cases
of BSD. 4.4BSD is good for routers, OpenBSD for secure servers,
FreeBSD is good for web servers, dialup cases, other stuff.

> BTW, consensus leads to standard crap like Motif and CDE.

I don;'t mean THIS kind of consensus. I doubt that you will hear from
FreeBSD user that NetBSD is a crap or 'switch to OpenBSD'.
That;s what i mean.

Artem