Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2001 14:18:08 +0100
From:      Thomas Uhrfelt <thomas.uhrfelt@plymovent.se>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Moving userbase from a 4.0 -> 4.2 FreeBSD system

I have purchased and installed a new box with all the applications we use
on our normal FBSD box. Now I want to switch out the old box in favor of
the new one, however I have one slight problem. How would I go about moving
all the useraccounts (including passwords, which I do not know myself) over
to the new system - so I don't have to give all the people new passwords.
Is it just a matter of moving the /etc/password file over in singleuser
mode or? Any help/instructions/hints would be much appriciated.

Regards,

Thomas Uhrfelt