Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 2000 10:45:46 -0500
From:      ITECHUSA FreeBSD Support <alaska@itechusa.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Kernel Messaage: bad gateway value

I could use a little help. My system has been sending kernel messages to the
console displaying:

"/kernel: arp_rtrequest: bad gateway value"

I am concerned this may be a security problem? My current setup for the
machine relaying the message is as follows:

OS: FreeBSD4.1.1-STABLE
NIC: 2 xl 3COM adapters on interfaces xl0 and xl1
KERNEL: IPFIREWALL, IPDIVERT, using NATD.

xl0 is my internal private network using 192.168.1.0 network and xl1 is my
interface to the CABLE Modem.  Here are the rc.conf values:

router_flag="-s"
router="router"
router_enable="YES"
gateway_enable="YES"
natd_enable="YES"
natd_interface="xl1"
firewall_enable="YES"
firewall_type="open"

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I've been running these servers for a while, and
this is the first time I've seen this message appear. Any suggestions?

- Chris Tusa
alaska@itechusa.net