Date:      Sun, 23 Jan 2000 01:28:27 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, Jordan Hubbard <jkh@FreeBSD.ORG>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@cygnus.rush.net>, brian@hak.lan.Awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: Warning: ioctl(... TUNSLMODE ...) to be depricated....

> Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org> writes:
> > Unless there are objections in the next day or two, I'm going to
> > deprecate the TUNSLMODE ioctl favour of TUNSIFHEAD.  Where TUNSLMODE
> > prepended a sockaddr to each packet, TUNSIFHEAD will instead prepend a
> > 4-byte network-byte-order address family.
>
> Don't take it out quite yet. I asked Alfred to implement TUNSLMODE for
> a reason; I was working on some VPN software at the time. There are
> cases where you want a full sockaddr, not just the address family. The
> next-hop address is not necessarily the same as the destination
> address, if the interface is in broadcast mode (as opposed to ptp).

[half-understanding-grumble]
This sounds like a bit of a hack :-(  I was seconds away from nuking
TUNSLMODE ;oD  [put that axe away !]
[/half-understanding-grumble]

I'll leave the support there, but TUNSIFHEAD will disable TUNSLMODE
and vice versa.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@OpenBSD.org>