Date:      Thu, 14 Sep 2006 15:06:48 +0100
From:      Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
To:        Matthias Apitz <m.apitz@oclcpica.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fortune in English or Spanish

Matthias Apitz wrote:

>El d=EDa Thursday, September 14, 2006 a las 02:50:56PM +0200, [LoN]Kamik=
aze escribi=F3:

> =20
>
>>Matthias Apitz wrote:
>>   =20
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I'm missing somehow the classic 'fortune' command and files in the
>>>ports, the are Italian and Russian ones, but don't see the fortune
>>>itself. If there is a Spanish one a pointer would be nice too. Thx
>>>     =20
>>>
>>Fortune is part of the base system.
>>   =20
>>

>Maybe I'm stupid, but I don't see it:
> =20

Probably not stupid.

Although fortune *can* be part of the "base" system, it is part of the=20
"games" distribution which might not have got installed.  In fact the=20
"games" are none of them games any more and the likes of snake=20
presumably live in the ports now.  Probably you can just run sysinstall=20
with the first CD in place and install just the games - but I've never=20
done that.  Being a lazy slacker I wouldn't ever consider a Unix install =

complete without *something* that passes for a game (for use during long =

compiles, of course :-))

If you do buildword's and things you might need to check that games=20
haven't been turned off in /etc/make.conf which I presume is possible.

This is from 5.4 by I expect 6.X to be largely the same.

% which fortune
/usr/games/fortune

% ls /usr/games
=2E/              caesar*         grdc*           pom*           =20
random*         unstr*
=2E./             factor*         morse*          ppt*            rot13*
bcd*            fortune*        number*         primes*         strfile*

No clue about Spanish though.  Maybe you need to start translating ;-)

--Alex