Date:      Thu, 24 Feb 2000 08:56:38 +0800
From:      "Miguel A.L. Paraz" <map@iphil.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Cc:        et-users@etinc.com
Subject:   Building 8-port Router

Thanks for all your inputs on the previous RAM problem.  I now went up to
128 MB, with 64 MB free and 16 MB used by Zebra ospfd alone (bug?!)

Anyway I'd appreciate your suggestions on building a router that could:
* handle at least 8 E1 V.35 ports at line rate
* perform ingress filtering on these
* store at least one full view BGP routing table, and maybe partial views
* do flow accounting (as suggested by one gentleman on the list)

I would throw the fastest cost-effective CPU at this, and lots of RAM too,
and send syslogs to another box to avoid writing to disk.  Any other
suggestions?

The reason I'm looking into this is because we have a Cisco 7206 but with
only a few 256Kbps and above lines, and Netflow switching, the CPU load is high
and I think it won't scale.

Thanks!
---m

--
Miguel "Migs" A.L. Paraz			          http://www.iphil.net
Coach + Technologist + Organizer 	    IPhil Communications Network, Inc.