Date:      Sat, 17 Oct 1998 21:25:58 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
To:        Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>, Paul Stewart <pstewart@kawartha.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: urgent request or help

At 12:18 AM 10/18/98 +0100, Karl Pielorz wrote:
>Paul Stewart wrote:
>
>> We just upgraded our main commerical web server to 3.0-RELEASE and
>> everything works like a dream except I can't compile apache-ssl for our
>> secure server... as it's compiling, I get the following from the SSLeahy
>> port...
>
>Not wanting to start fireworks, but if it's your _main_ commercial /
>production box you probably shouln't have done that... If you look through
the
>-current mailing list you would have seen why... A lot of the ports, and
other
>software have problems with ELF at the moment...

Forshame Paul!

One should have a test machine for such things.  Only once after testing
did an install botch things, but I was able to finish is less than 2 hours
from when I started the upgrade.

>I have problems with Apache myself - even if I go fetch the original (i.e.
>don't compile a port)...

With or without SSL?

Haven't tested it much and don't need the SSL part, but it compiles clean
on a system about 1 day prior to the release.  My preference is to compile
it myself, not the port.  At least until I sort out the port, so that I get
things were I want _and_ the install is clean.  Not fond of the port's
choices.

>I've seen a few commit's for the ports & apache-ssl go through recently, if
>you cvsup your ports collection to the latest - you might be lucky and be
able
>to compile the port of apache...

There were Indeed, but none that I could see newer than 10/2 and to be sure
I just did a cvsup of ports and apache13-modssl is unchanged since then (or
my last sup 2 days ago).  Interestingly there were a TON of deletes.

Paul, did you upgrade the ports as well?

If you did there may be one other option...

One change was to remove the apache13-php3-modssl port, which appears to
mean the the apache13-php3 _may_ work, as it does have a patches.modssl
directory and a PLIST.modssl.  The CVS commit and ports changes page are
not clear.  One could guess that if SSLeay is installed...

Neat!  A 'make all' brings up an options menu, so you do have an alternative.

>Sorry I couldn't be more help...

Maybe this will.

Luck!

Jeff Mountin - Unix Systems TCP/IP networking
jeff@mountin.net