Date:      Fri, 5 Jan 2007 09:34:18 -0200
From:      Ricardo Nabinger Sanchez <rnsanchez@wait4.org>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/107516: emu10k1 - skips, clicks and lag after a day of heavy usage

On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 09:23:43 +0100
Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net> wrote:

> >  Repeatable both with emu10k1 and emu10kx (from ports) drivers, using
> > "play" command (audio/sox), and either with the 4 KB buffer or larger.
>
> Please download the appropriate stuff from
> http://people.freebsd.org/~ariff/lowlatency/ and try if to reproduce
> the problem. Please report back how it works.

I've just installed it, and got *much* better results now.  My test case
consisted on playing 50 times in a row a short wav file I'm very used to
hear.  The files:

[1] RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, Microsoft PCM, 8 bit, mono 22050 Hz
[2] RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, Microsoft PCM, 16 bit, stereo
22050 Hz
[3] 2 seconds of mute (in Audacity)
[4] 2 seconds of 0.1 amplitude sine wave (Audacity)
[5] Audacity, 22050 Hz, 16 bit, mono, with 0.05 s of silence followed by 1
second of 0.1 amplitude sine

The results:

[1] 10 out of 50 were slightly different from the original/expected sound,
but without randomness (the 10 sounded like it had higher tones filtered out)

[2] No differences perceived throughout the 50 playbacks, very hard to tell
if there are glitches in the very beginning, due to the nature of the sound
played (I'd say there wasn't any glitches).

[3] Pure mute.

[4] Glitch (sounding like a very quick "click") in the very beginning, no
distortions after.

[5] No glitches like in [4] -- very good.  The 0.05 s offset from the
beginning avoided the glitch.

With XMMS, I couldn't notice anything weird, neither glitches in the very
beginning of playback (perhaps XMMS does a better job preparing for
playback?).

With Psi (Jabber client), the sounds played suffer from the [4] issue.  It's
using sox's play command as the player.

Relevant sysctl output as of now:
% sysctl -a | egrep 'snd|pcm'
hw.snd.latency_profile: 1
hw.snd.latency: 5
hw.snd.report_soft_formats: 1
hw.snd.feeder_buffersize: 16384
hw.snd.feeder_fmt_downmix: 0
hw.snd.feeder_rate_round: 25
hw.snd.feeder_rate_max: 2016000
hw.snd.feeder_rate_min: 1
hw.snd.verbose: 1
hw.snd.sndstat_isopen: 0
hw.snd.maxautovchans: 4
hw.snd.default_unit: 0
dev.pcm.0.%desc: Creative EMU10K1
dev.pcm.0.%driver: pcm
dev.pcm.0.%location: slot=10 function=0
dev.pcm.0.%pnpinfo: vendor=0x1102 device=0x0002 subvendor=0x1102
subdevice=0x8061 class=0x040100 dev.pcm.0.%parent: pci0
dev.pcm.0.eapd: 1
dev.pcm.0.buffersize: 4096
dev.pcm.0.vchans: 1
dev.pcm.0.vchanrate: 48000
dev.pcm.0.vchanformat: s16le

% kldstat
Id Refs Address    Size     Name
 1   15 0xc0400000 691928   kernel
 2    2 0xc0a92000 1aff0    linux.ko
 3    1 0xc0aad000 71ac     snd_emu10k1.ko
 4    3 0xc0ab5000 3c330    sound.ko
 5    1 0xc0af2000 4a59d4   nvidia.ko
 6    1 0xc0f98000 58554    acpi.ko
 7    1 0xc3a8e000 e000     ext2fs.ko
 8    1 0xc3bd0000 2000     blank_saver.ko

Hope that helps.  :)

Regards.

ps: please keep me in Cc: as I'm not subscribed to multimedia@.

--