Date:      Wed, 12 May 1999 15:53:59 -0700
From:      Jerry Preeper <preeper@cts.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   upgrading 2.2.6R --> 2.2.8S -- server crashing

We just finished finished upgrading from 2.2.6-Release to 2.2.8-Stable and
installed everything last night after testing the build and install on a
backup drive.  Now, the server has crashed twice today already and I can't
seem to find any reason why.  Install was done around 9pm last night, first
crash was about 8am this morning, second crash was around 2:30 pm this
afternoon.  Also, when it crashes, it doesn't automatically reboot itself,
which I seem to recall it used to do (it's been a while since it crashed
before the upgrade).

I have checked in the /var/log/ files, there are no console messages, there
are no messages in the error log for the main domain on the site, nothing
that I can see.  When the machine is rebooted there aren't any unusual
error messages.  And after it's rebooted, everything seems to be running
fine, from sendmail to the ftp server, to the web server, secure server
etc....

I'm not sure where else to look or what to look for now.

After upgrading and rebooting the machine, I also re-installed sendmail
8.9.2 which was on there before upgrading.  The box is a PII-233, Asus
P2L97S motherboard, 128MB RAM (and 128MB swap), Barracuda SCSI Drives,
3C509B NIC and is at a colocate service.

Prior to upgrading, I would typically run almost 2 months without a single
crash, now I have two crashes in the same day.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jerry Preeper