Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 1999 17:44:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Isaac Flemming <iflemmin@mission.mvnc.edu>
To:        Nathan Stratton <nathan@robotics.net>
Cc:        Kenny Drobnack <kdrobnac@mission.mvnc.edu>, William Melanson <wjm@gate.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question about the mascot

On Wed, 11 Aug 1999, Nathan Stratton wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Aug 1999, Kenny Drobnack wrote:
>
> > I am a Christian, and do not find the daemon mascot offensive in the
> > least. And I came from the DOS/Windows environment, so I had no idea what
> > the daemon was.  In fact, I got some funny looks at my Christian college
> > when i started talking about "demons" running in my computer. Some people
> > laughed and said "Windows sure seems like that sometimes".
> > 	maybe we should have a disclaimer or something "FreeBSD is not
> > satanic. This is a daemon, a helpful spiritual being, kind of like an
> > angel." Of course, people don't read README files, much less
> > disclaimers...
> > 	I do kind of like the idea of having some versions of things
> > (T-shits, stickers, the CD's) without the mascot.  Of course, still keep
> > the ones with. That way, if the little devil on their software package
> > really bothers someone, they can get the one that doesn't have him.
>
> Dito, I also am a Christian and do think think it is a big deal at all.
>
> ><>
> Nathan Stratton				Telecom & ISP Consulting
> http://www.robotics.net	 		nathan@robotics.net

 assume you left out the word not?

 I have my two cents worth to add to this. Why are we bothering to discuss
it? There is no reason that someone should be so picky about an
image/sticker in a society that is so overloaded with images they have all
lost their meaning any way. If I happen to meet someone who told me that
they will not buy FreeBSD because it has a devil like mascot I would
instantly be glad they were not going to part of the FreeBSD community and
do nothing to encourage them to jump on the wagon!! Even though this may
cause some good minds to go join other groups, it will exclude very few
people. Besides, there is only a few other places they can go to in the
free unix like os area, and were all friends, aren't we?

Isaac D. Flemming
Computer/Network Technician
Public Library of Mount Vernon and Knox County

Email: iflemmin@knox.net
       iflemmin@mvnc.edu

Phone: (740) 392-2665
Fax:   (740) 397-3866