Date:      Sun, 5 Jul 1998 20:30:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      lcremean@tidalwave.net
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   kern/7178: IDE Western Digital hard disk detection errors

>Number:         7178
>Category:       kern
>Synopsis:       IDE Western Digital hard disk detection errors
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
(this is being reported for a friend, Chris Eslinger <yakko@yallp.com>)

On a system with a Fujitsu 4.3 GB (master) and a Mitsumi ATAPI CD-ROM (slave)on the primary port,
and two Western Digitals on the secondary (31600 as master, 31200 as slave), sometimes
the 31200 will not be detected correctly--it either says it's using fake geometry values, or
detects no model numbers and 0xFFFF for all the geometry parameters. This does not happen in OSes
other than FreeBSD.
>How-To-Repeat:
Not known...I gather that it happens every time the boot floppy is used.
>Fix:
N/A