Date:      Mon, 03 Jun 1996 22:00:32 +0000
From:      Matt Thomas <matt@lkg.dec.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Wanted: a few brave souls (to test a change to the if_de driver)

I modified my new/normal if_de.c driver to do something
quite different from most network drivers.

This driver will defer processing of interrupts to a
netisr routine.  Actually the acknowledges an interrupt,
and disables interrupts for the device, and waits for
a software interrupt to acutally service the interrupt.

Thus hardly any of the driver runs splimp and most runs
at splnet.

This also results in pratically no drops at the protocol
layer (ie. ipintrq).  With a small change to ether_input
and ip_input, one could even bypass ipintrq and have
much fairer input processing (reduce queueing delays and
effects considerably).

If you are in an environment where you are getting
ipintrq drops with the de driver, I'd be very curious
to see what results you get from this driver.

Send me mail if you are interested...

(Anything after 2.1.0-RELEASE should work fine included
2.2-current).

3am Software Foundry      WWW URL:    http://www.3am-software.com/bio/matt.html
Westford, MA              Disclaimer: I disavow all knowledge of this message