Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 2002 15:17:49 +0000 (UTC)
From:      naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RFC:  mark MP3 encoders, editors, and players RESTRICTED

Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net> wrote:

> The Fraunhofer Institute seems to have discontinued the exception it was
> making for free software.

It looks like you propose to blindly slap a RESTRICTED on every
port that somehow deals with MP3s.  I don't think the situation is
so dire that we have to act right now and can't take a few days to
fix things properly.  Some of those ports aren't encoders or decoders.
Surely an ID3 tag editor is not covered by Fraunhofer's patent
claims.

Also, should RESTRICTED by applied transitively?  For instance,
mpg321 is just some glue code between libao and libmad.  All the
MP3 decoding is in libmad, and mpg321 is dynamically linked.  Should
mpg321 still be marked RESTRICTED?

For some of the affected ports, MP3 playing is only a small part
of overall functionality and could be excised / made optional.  XMMS
is the foremost example I have in mind.