Date:      Wed, 20 Feb 2013 22:55:47 +1030
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        Paul Schenkeveld <freebsd@psconsult.nl>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Chicken and egg, encrypted root FS on remote server

On 20/02/2013, at 21:43, Paul Schenkeveld <freebsd@psconsult.nl> wrote:
>> What about getting a remote console like HP's ILO or Dell's DRAC ?
>>=20
>> You get to login remotely, you can use some degree of access =
control... you can even remote boot.
>=20
> For new hardware I could indeed use this, the current hardware does =
not
> support remote console.
>=20
> I don't have experience with ILO nor DRAC but I do have experience =
with
> SuperMicro's KVM over LAN which does need a java client to run.  If I =
can
> enter the passphrase over ssh that would be better as I can use any =
device
> including a smartphone to dial in and enter the passphrase.

If you setup a serial console you don't need Java if you use ipmitool, =
eg
ipmitool -H remoteip -U ADMIN -I lanplus sol activate

The way IPMI graphical console stuff _stinks_ - I spent several hours =
trying to help a customer and I was stymied at every level trying to =
work out how to use SSH port forwarding to have the console Java client =
connect to the remote server (for example, it ignores system wide SOCKS =
proxy settings).

In the end I used tun forwarding which was just stupid - it really is =
written assuming everyone uses a VPN. There is no logic behind the use =
of the VNC protocol but bastardised enough that normal clients can =
connect.
</rant>

That inspired me to send a longer rant to Supermicro about it, maybe =
nothing will come of it but I feel better ;)

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum