Date:      Tue, 10 Jul 2007 21:56:25 GMT
From:      Ben Kaduk <minimarmot@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   www/114487: html man pages break with underscore characters

>Number:         114487
>Category:       www
>Synopsis:       html man pages break with underscore characters
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
Sorry to be so brief, but my time is a bit limited at the moment.

I have found a couple man pages which, when displayed using the man.cgi web interface, do not render properly.  I have no reason to believe that this problem is limited in scope to these particular pages; I think it is more general, and involves the software that converts the man pages from mdoc to html.

The snd_ess(4) page
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=snd_ess&sektion=4&apropos=0&manpath=FreeBSD+6.2-RELEASE
shows how to add the audio driver to your kernel configuration, that is, by adding:
device sound
device snd_ess
device snd_sbc

however, in the two lines with underscores, only the portion before the underscore is highlighted as a configuration declaration.

Similarly, in the roff(7) man page:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=roff
the text mentions the groff_out(5) utility.  However, only the portion after the underscore (``out(5)'') is active as a link, and the link attempts to point to a man page for the nonexistant out(5) man page:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=out&sektion=5&apropos=0&manpath=FreeBSD+6.2-RELEASE
which is not a valid link (because there is no such man page).

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find the source for this page in cvsweb (presumably, I'm looking in the wrong place), and I don't have more time to track down this case, or other possible pages with underscores that break rendering.
>How-To-Repeat:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=snd_ess&sektion=4&apropos=0&manpath=FreeBSD+6.2-RELEASE
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=roff
>Fix:
I don't know of anything at the moment; in fact, I only know a symptom of a problem, not what the problem itself is.