Date:      Mon, 18 Jul 2005 20:12:48 +0200
From:      "Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg" <listsub@401.cx>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD logo design competition

Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On 2005-07-18 13:11, Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg <listsub@401.cx> wrote:
>>Well, there are actually quite a lot of people who *do* care about the
>>logo, so allow me to turn your question around: Any deadline after
>>which people that do not care about the logo will stop bugging us that
>>do, and let us discuss the subject without having to deal with *your*
>>crap?
>

> There is a slight but very important difference between:
>
> 	a) not caring about the logo
> 	b) not caring for a new logo
>
> But I guess it doesn't matter now, does it? :-)

Actually, FreeBSD does not currently have a logo. It has a
mascot. But that is a subject that has been discussed way to much
already and I refuse to get sucked in again. There is no logo,
and thats all I have to say about that!

>>If there is a posting about the same subject every week, simple
>>statistics say that there has to be atleast a moderate interest in the
>>subject, or else the postings would not occur.
>

> These statistics are false as long as they don't also count the number
> of people who have started feeling terminally bored by seeing the same
> "logo contest" theme repeating over and over again, the number of people
> who disagree with the change but don't voise their objections, etc.

Actually, no.
There has to be an interest for postings to occur. Wether the
majority of the community is interested or not is irrelevant,
simple logic says that if postings occur regularly, there has to
be atleast some interest in the subject. People may disagree with
the whole idea, but by doing so, they too show interest.

>>That some people do not find it interesting at all does not justify
>>dropping it.  I frequently recieve postings on subjects that do not
>>concern or interests me, but I simply ignore them and move on. This is
>>chat@, after all.
>>
>>I apologize for the somewhat harsh tone, but to be honest, your mail
>>was not exactly polite either.
>

> True.  My apologies if I have personally offended anyone too, since this
> was not meant to be a personal attack; rather a somewhat strong way to
> express my growing anxiety about the fact that users seem to care a lot
> more about "this gif image" or "that jpeg icon" these days than actually
> making real, tangible, contributions in one of the forms that would
> probably benefit a lot more (even if that's just an article about "how
> cool FreeBSD Ports are" in a local magazine of Patras, Greece).

I can only speak for myself, but Im in no way offended. I know
that you contribute to FreeBSD and for that I respect you.
But still I fail to see why argueing for a logo excludes all the
other ways of contributing. I constantly advocate BSD, write
howtos, keep local classes and donate money, but I also as soon
as given an opportunity advocate any change that can make FreeBSD
look more like a serious piece of software then a garage project.
Once again I could turn your argument around and ask why the
people that consider articles much more important then a logo
dont spend their time writing those articles instead of working
against those that think a logo is more important? If everyone
just did what they preached, we would pretty soon have both a
logo and lots of new articles. :)