Date:      Wed, 07 Mar 2001 08:46:24 +0100
From:      Joachim =?iso-8859-1?Q?Str=F6mbergson?= <watchman@ludd.luth.se>
To:        David Talkington <dtalk@prairienet.org>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [OT] cordless keyboards

Hola!

David Talkington wrote:
> My apologies for the OT.  After spotting a Logitech cordless keyboard
> in use in one department that I maintain, I scoured the web looking
> for information about the possibility of interception of its signals.
> I've found nothing.
>
> Does anyone know how difficult it might be to sniff one of these
> devices?  Logitech marketing info claims that it's "digitally secure",
> but without third-party information to back this up, my innately
> paranoid nature remains cautious, given its 6-10 foot range (more than
> enough to span cubicles or even apartments).

I'm a very happy owner of a cordless mouse and keyboard combo (one of
the best buys I've ever done). My board is not equipped with any dip
switches. Instead (as reported by others) both the mouse, the keyboard
and the base station has a "connect"-button that is supposed to
synch/identify the devices with eachother.

One odd thing to note. It seems that if you don't do this, the base
station will accept signals from any mouse/keyboard. At my former job
the managers sitting next to each other complained that they constantly
stole the mouse pointer from each other(!). This was Logitech baords and
mice.

--
Cheers!
Joachim - Alltid i harmonisk svängning