Date:      Thu, 16 Jan 1997 13:47:37 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Stephen F. Combs" <steve@combs.salem.ge.com>
To:        "Sean J. Schluntz" <schluntz@pinpt.com>
Cc:        Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>, emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Emulation of HP-UX or A*X?

HP-UX is SystemVRel2 based (with HP-isms added), AIX is IBM's attempt to
'Big Blue' a unix, AUX is Apple's "Unix", and SunOS (up thru 4.1.4) is
BSD with Sunisms.  The reason I began using FreeBSD was to have the SAME
basic working environment on my PC as I had on my SPARC.  If you want
HARDWARE Emulation it'd be easier AND cheaper to just buy the
appropriate workstation and go from there.  If you want S/W emulation,
I'd forget HP-U/X, AIX, and AUX (my personal opinion, after working with
ALL of them!) and just go with SunOS.  You already got it!
Can't run Sun binaries, but you CAN compile source and have it work
(usually 'Fresh Out of the BOX').

----
Stephen F. Combs                 Internet:	CombsSF@Salem.GE.COM
GE Industrial Systems		 Voice:		540.387.8828
Network Services		 Home:		CombsSF-Home@Salem.GE.COM
1501 Roanoke Blvd                FAX:		540.387.7106
Salem, VA  24153                 LapTop:	CombsSF-Mobile@Salem.GE.COM