Date:      Sun, 18 May 97 10:47:14 -0500
From:      "morty" <morty@mortykai.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   followup: freebsd install

> i am unable to install freebsd using ftp media. the error: couldnt open
> ftp connection to ftp.freebsd.org: unknown error.
> i have tried several mirror sites and dotted quad urls and get the same
> message.

> i have a routed network from my isp. the gateway machine has a ppp
> connection to the internet. i have 3 other machines that access the
> internet through the gateway machine. the target machine has a 3com
> 3c509 int 10 io 300. i have double checked the target machine's ip
> config. dns is working. i can access the ftp host and mirror hosts from
> the gateway machine. i can ping the target machine from the gateway
> machine.

> there is no firewall.

ok i have since downloaded the bin files to the gateway machine and was able to ftp install from the gateway.
now that freebsd is running i am still unable to create any socket connection to an external host. i can
connect to other internal hosts. i can ping ext hosts but thats it. dns is functioning properly. needless to say i
still cant ftp install any freebsd packages.

i am new to freebsd and this is my first install. what am i overlooking?

-morty-

heard any good ones lately?
send them to mailto:jokes@mortykai.com