Date:      Wed, 13 Nov 1996 15:24:20 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        will.kempf@firstdatacorp.com (Will Kempf)
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Re[2]: Secure RPC revisited

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Will Kempf had
to walk into mine and say:

>      Is it possible (probable) that since Linus is in Finland
> (Denmark?)
>      that he's using one of the internationally-available
> implementations
>      of DES?

It's not a question of where Linus is or what he's using. Linus doesn't
distribute Redhat Linux (though he may use it for all I know). In fact,
Linus doesn't distribute the Linux libc implementation at all: from what
I know, he just distributes the kernel.

The point is that the Redhat people, who are based in the United States
as far as I can tell, are shipping Redhat Linux CDs from the U.S. to
places outside of the U.S. with DES encryption software on them. (I
suppose they're also making it available via FTP too. There are lots of
Redhat mirror sites around.)

The law, dumb as it is, says that you can't do that. You can actually
ship encryption code into the U.S. but once it's here, you can't ship
it back out again. Silly? You bet. But the rule applies to code which
uses more than 40 bits for its key, and DES uses 56-bit keys, so there
you have it. This is why you have export and domestic versions of Netscape
(*spit*) and why FreeBSD CDs don't come with the DES distribution included;
you have to download it seperately from a nearby FTP site (meaning if
you're outside the U.S., you need to get it from a non-U.S. FTP server).

(As an aside, I wonder if it would be possible to put the DES distribution
on a floppy and include it when Walnut Creek mails a FreeBSD CD to someone
with a U.S. mailing address. But that's for Walnut Creek to decide.)

It would seem that other Linux distributions that use the same libc are
in the same boat: I believe Slackware has the same Secure RPC and DES
code in it. If any of these Linux distributors have mailed CDs to
overseas addresses with DES code on them, then technically they've broken
the law and could go to jail and/or be fined a lot of money.

My point is that it's just not fair that we should be going to all
this trouble to abide by the law while the Linux distributors just
thumb their noses at it.

-Bill

 "If you're ever in trouble, go to the CTR. Ask for Bill. He will help you."