Date:      Thu, 25 Mar 1999 09:07:51 -0600
From:      "Juan Kuuse" <kuuse@quik.guate.com>
To:        <cjclark@home.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: "No disks found!" sysinstall problem

Thanks for the answer!

-----Original Message-----
From: Crist J. Clark <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To: Juan Kuuse <kuuse@quik.guate.com>
Cc: FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Wednesday, March 24, 1999 6:39 PM

>Juan Kuuse wrote,
>> I have a 4 GB disk with win98 on the first 1 GB MSDOS partition,
>> and trying to create a second 1.5 GB partition for FreeBSD, and a third
>> FAT32 partition for windows.
>

>Why do you want two separate MS partitions?
Just to make things easy for myself (following the instructions literally in
'The Complete FreeBSD').
Using sysinstall, I then will change the file system type to FreeBSD.

>> fips.exe woun't work for FAT32 partitions, will it?
>

>I thought it did.
I can't make it work, but with Ranish partition manager it works fine.
The advantage with fips is that easier to create a new partition without
blowing the old one.
Good for a newbie like me! :)

>> And when I run it, it hangs for a long time at the first "press any
>> key"message,
>> and then follows an error message:
>> "Drive Initialization Failure: Errorcode 5
>> Interrupt 13h 00h returned an error code"
>> and the program ends.
>>
>> So I use part.exe (Ranish Partition manager), where I can create 3
>> partitions.
>> Anyhow, it will not let me modify the win98 partition settings.
>

>What settings are you trying to modify?
The partition size.

>> When I try to install FreeBSD, I got the following error message:
>>
>> "No disks found!  Please verify that your disk controller is being
>>  properly probed at boot time.  See the Hardware Guide on the
>>  Documentation menu for clues on diagnosing this type of problem."
>>

>> Is this a problem due to the win98 partition?
>
>Hard to say, maybe you should...
>
>"Please verify that your disk controller is being properly probed at
>boot time."
At boot time, I just see the probing until the hard disk, then the
sysinstall shows up,
without me beeing able to confirm if the HD was probed correctly or not.

>What information about your drive scrolls by as the kernel starts up?
>Is your drive IDE or SCSI?
It's an IDE drive.