Date:      Fri, 9 Oct 1998 11:48:01 +0200
From:      Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>
To:        Mark Cockrum <n9842643@cc.wwu.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TCP/IP books

On Thu, 08 Oct 1998 at 21:52 SAT, Mark Cockrum wrote:

> I'm a college student who just installed a copy of FreeBSD that
> got at Defcon this summer.  I have a copy of The Complete FreeBSD
> by Greg Lehey, and I am starting to feel "somewhat" comfortable
> witht the operating system.

Great.  ;-)

> Greg's book goes somewhat in depht about TCP/IP, but i'm looking
> for a book to contuning to learning about TCP/IP networks and
> the security issues present in them.  I noticed on defcon.org
> a few books, namely TCP/IP illustrated vol. 1,2,3, Pratical
> UNIX and internet security by Garfinkel and Spafford, and TCP/IP
> network adminastration by Craig Hunt.  I'm hopeing for a book
> that can tie in TCP/IP security issues well with UNIX (and
> namely FreeBSD) enviroments.  (i.e. none of that WinNT bullshit.)
> Keep in mind I don't know a great deal about UNIX or TCP/IP
> (well, i got PPP to work in FreeBSD) so the book can't be to
> top-heavy.

Any book published by O'Reilly & Associates (http://www.ora.com/) which seems
relevant is probably a good buy.  Their editorial policy makes for books
which tend to the "practical", rather than the "in-depth theoretical", and
are are therefore usually good places to start (but not to stop! ;-).

Craig Hunt's book gives you a good introductory overview of many TCP/IP
services, with the accent firmly on "introductory".  Note that I can only
speak for the 1st edition on this one - the newer 2nd edition may be much
extended.  As a companion to Hunt's book, you might consider getting Frisch's
"Essential System Administration".  (Also by ORA.)

Garfinkel & Spafford's tome is a must-have, but it delves into many aspects
of computer security which lie far beyond the hands-on administration of a
Unix box _per se_.  Many, many practical tips as well, though.  This book
teaches you how to think about security, more than anything else.

You might give it a miss if you just look at the title, but "Building
Internet Firewalls" by Chapman and Zwicky (also publisyed by ORA) is an
absolutely great introduction to the security aspects of most widely used
TCP/IP services.  Read this, and configuring something like ipfw will be a
breeze ever after.

None of the books I've listed here are really aimed at anything beyond the
beginner to intermediate level.  But then, once you've reached that level
you'll probably be reading RFCs over breakfast.  ;-)

-- V

Johann Visagie | wjv@CityIP.co.za | Tel: +27 21 419-7878 | ICQ: 20645559