Date:      Tue, 11 Jun 2002 10:52:53 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jacob Ritorto <jritorto@pit.comms.marconi.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   serial trouble on dell cpi 366

Hi,
	I'm frequently losing bits on my laptop's
serial port using FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE and
5.0-CURRENT. The kernel frequently reports one
more silo overflow (xx total) on the serial port.
Both installations are generic kernels, though I
did try cutting out superfluous devices in 5.0,
but to no effect.
	5.0 Seems to drop many more bits than 4.5,
and 5.0 seems not to care how fast the transfer
happens -- it loses data even at 2400 bps, while
the 4.5-RELEASE usually only loses data at rates
above 38400.
	Do people already know about this?  Is
there a bug filed yet?  Any resolution /
workaround?  I use the machine (and camediaplay or
gphoto -- same behaviour with both programs) to
grab digital photos from my Olympus.  The scheme
worked fine on previous FreeBSD versions with my
now defunct Intel machine..

	Please advise as it seems to me that the
kernel is having trouble getting around to
servicing the serial port's requests, which I'm
assuming denotes the kernel's failure to fully
grok the uart or something like that..

thanks.

-jake