Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 2002 11:58:04 -0400
From:      Alan E <alane@geeksrus.net>
To:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RFC:  mark MP3 encoders, editors, and players RESTRICTED

On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 03:17:49PM +0000, Christian Weisgerber wrote:

>For some of the affected ports, MP3 playing is only a small part
>of overall functionality and could be excised / made optional.  XMMS
>is the foremost example I have in mind.

And mp3 playing is also what 99.9% of xmms users use it for, I would
guess.

Excising it would be impractical; it would upset a great many people if
they did a portupgrade and found that xmms could no longer play mp3
files, or even be rebuilt configured to do so.

Even making it a non-default would mean packages would be useless to
almost all users, so they'd have to build from the port, and that's the
same effect as marking it restricted.

Marking it restricted would have the least distruptive effect on xmms,
all other things being left as is.

AFA trasitivity goes, my own opinion is that no, it should not be
applied transitively unless the mp3 codec is linked statically.

Id3 code should remain unaffected, AFAIK.

There's also the question of whether we can keep the distfiles on our
servers anymore. I think that perhaps legal needs to be involved on that
decision.

--
AlanE
KDE-FreeBSD Team (http://freebsd.kde.org/)