Date:      Thu, 20 Feb 2003 11:59:14 +0900 (JST)
From:      Munehiro Matsuda <haro@kgt.co.jp>
To:        c.rued@xsb.com
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: jdk13 and WITH_NATIVE_THREADS compile failing

Hello Chris,

From: Christopher Rued <c.rued@xsb.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 14:32:21 -0500
::Thanks for the help.  I applied you patches, and eventually was able
::to compile and install the native jdk131 with HotSpot.  However, I was
::not able to run it -- when I run `java -version`, I get the following:
<snip>
::  # Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Core VM (1.3.1-internal-debug interpreted mode)
::  #
::
::Any idea as what is wrong, or how to diagnose the problem???

I have never seen or had report of this kind of error before.
What kind of OS do you use? 4-STABLE/5-CURRENT/other from when?

What happens if you disable hotspot, by renaming hotspot directory to
some thing else, and try java -version?
e.g.
  # cd /usr/local/jdk1.3.1/jre/lib/i386/
  # mv hotspot hotspot.tmp
  # java -version

::java_g -version causes the same sort of error.
::java -classic -version causes a hang.

Hotspot VM and Classic VM does/may(?) not co-exist together.
So even in my environment, java dumps core if I set '-classic' with
Hotspot enbled.

::By the way, when I uncompressed your patches I noticed a lot of extra
::^M characters (carriage returns) at the end of lines that didn't seem
::to belong (they did not patch cleanly).  I don't know if this was in
::your original patch, or if it has something to do with downloading the
::attachment from the archives, but I thought I'd mention it.

I had alot of complaint about, not able to decompress my patch, but
it's first time I've heard about the '^M' character trouble.
May related to the tool you used to decompress it?

Next time, I'll use a 'more easy to decompress' format, when I send
my patches. :-)

Thanks anyway,
  Haro
           _ _    Munehiro (haro) Matsuda
 -|- /_\  |_|_|   Business Incubation Dept., Kubota Corp.
 /|\ |_|  |_|_|   1-3 Nihonbashi-Muromachi 3-Chome
                  Chuo-ku Tokyo 103-8310, Japan
                  Tel: +81-3-3245-3318  Fax: +81-3-3245-3315
                  Email: haro@kgt.co.jp