Date:      Fri, 4 Apr 1997 21:24:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Intuitive Design Archive <archive@in-design.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XDM and X problems

On Fri, 4 Apr 1997, Intuitive Design Archive wrote:

> > > (xf86OpenConsole: VT_ACTIVATE failed)
> > >
> > > Which I have never seen before.  Sometimes I get kicked out of Xsession as
> > > well.
> >
> > Your keyboard may be broken.  Have you tried replacing it?  My MicroSwitch
> > shuts down when used with my old motherboard for extended periods of time.
>
> 	Tried three keyboards so far with no luck :( It only happens when
> XDM is running but not when using startx...

You do have a free tty available, ie one without a getty running on it?

> 	I thought so. Ordered new memory and put it in... Still same
> problem.  Could it be bad ram?  I noticed that the server works fine
> until I try launching something like emacs, knews, netscrape, ect.

Yeah, these are big apps which can extract the error.  Low swap and bad
processor cache can cause the same problem.

> > Is ``options XSERVER'' defined in your kernel?
>
> 	I am using 2.1.7 and XF86 3.2  and using the reqular sc0:
> device          sc0     at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector scintr
>
> and not the :
>
> device          vt0     at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector pcrint
>
> 	So should I use the vt0 and include the xserver option, as I thought
> it only applies if you use this device...

You could try using pcvt.  I've never had to do that.

It's possible you card isn't exactly supported.  You might try asking
xfree86@xfree86.org and see what the state of the driver is.  Or check the
documentation.