Date:      21 Feb 2001 10:12:40 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DHCP [ WAS: Problem Adding 2nd NIC]

richard@sparky.uk.net (Richard Morte) writes:

> ifconfig -l shows both pn0 and pn1 once only together with the usual lo0,
> lp0 etc.
> ifconfig -a shows pn0 with the IP Addresses set as per rc.conf, up and
> running
> ifconfig -a shows pn1 with no IP addresses set (because it fails at boot
> time) and not up and not running.
> pn0 works fine for the _internal_ network - all PC's can see each other.
>
> after issuing "dhclient pn1" at the command prompt, ifconfig -a now shows
> the IP address provided by the DHCP server: inet 62.31.2.... etc, with
> netmask correctly assigned, up and running. Just as expected.
>
> Now on to rc.network. I'm no shell programmer, but it's kind of followable.
> This file has never been modified since installation, so my guess is that
> it's correct. The only thing I don't understand is the different references
> to the various enable flags : = X"YES" for example , then later = "XYES",
> but the LHS seems to mirror the RHS, so I guess all is well. I cannot see
> any reference to the 'Bad Value' string, so some other script must be
> reporting this.

It's coming directly from ifconfig, actually.

The problem is that you are using a syntax:
> >     ifconfig_pn1="DHCP"
which is not supported at all by the script on your system.
Remember that you are running a system that is more than half-a-dozen
releases out of date, and not all of the documentation may apply to
your system any more.

I don't have a 3.2 system available, but I think that putting
"dhclient pn1" in /etc/rc.local should work for you, and is probably
the easiest approach.

Good luck.