Date:      Thu, 22 Jan 1998 12:34:35 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith), vazquez@IQM.Unicamp.BR, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wfd/zip ATAPI

> > The drive appears to wedge up; I get one error register value with a
> > sense code of 0xd (which is undefined), and then it stops taking
> > commands.
>
> wouldn't this be a good opportunity to look at our atapi
> implementation(*) and see if someone can add at least a watchdog
> functionality such as the one (wdtimeout() in wd.c) which is present
> for the ordinary IDE drives ?

Doesn't wdtimeout get called for all transactions on the bus?
Something keeps putting up those "req cb" messages...

> I am afraid I don't have sufficient knowledge to _design_ this in a
> proper way. Maybe I could hack something but it is not straightforward
> since I am not sure how to get a reference from the atapi unit back to
> the associated controller.

Every time I get stuck in this, I think "what we want to do is rewrite
this", and then I think "hmm, translate CAM SCBs to ATA/ATAPI
commands", and then I think "when am I going to do this"?

*sigh*

> > The SFF-8020i document implies that READ-10 is obsolete and that
> > READ-12 should be used...
>
> given that a lot of hardware is also obsolete it does not sound so bad
> to use matching commands :)

Heh.  Bloody legacy issues.  8(
\\  end it's only with yourself.  \\