Date:      Thu, 14 Jan 1999 04:38:20 -0500
From:      "Christopher S. Weimann" <cweimann@wallnet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How big can a FreeBSD filesystem be?

On Thu, Jan 14, 1999 at 11:25:25AM +1030, Greg Lehey wrote:

> >   How Big a file system will FreeBSD support (including all the disk
> >   tools)?
>
> The simple answer is ``larger than you can build''.  The largest I've
> seen is about 60 GB, but 4.4BSD has 64 bit pointers, so I suppose the
> answer must be something like 9.2 Exabytes (if that's the correct
> unit; anyway, 9.2 * 10**18 bytes, or 9.2 million terabytes).  Possibly
> some other problem would limit things more.

When I was running 2.1.7.1 it was incapable of fsck'ing a 32 GB ccd
filesystem.  Since this was my news spool it wasn't a big deal because
I could newfs the drive and start fresh if there ever was a problem
( which naturally there was ) but it was anoying.

Once I upgraded to 2.2.7 fsck had no problem with the 32 GB ccd.